3. Repeaters operate similar to ……… which also just create electronic nodes to extend the cable length.
a) Ethernet hubs b) Bridges c) Ethernet switches d) Connectors e) Hoppers
4. Fast ethernet ……..
a) uses only optical-fiber so it is really fast
b) is not backward compatible with old ethernet. c) runs 2000 meters with twisted pair cable d) switches are full-duplex
e) hubs are 10 Mbps
5. Which one of the following is incorrect?
a) Full-duplex means simultaneous transmission and reception.
b) Simplex device cannot talk back.
c) One of the reliability measures of networks is the robustness in catastrophe.
d) On a dedicated link there can only be two devices. e) Half-duplex means only half of the cable is duplex.
4. ………. layer handles the physical addressing of communicating devices. a) Physical b) Logical c) Data link d) Network e) Transport
5. Gateways are similar to routers ………………………….. a) in the way they route incoming packets.
b) that they both use the same OSI layers. c) requiring ethernet addresses on all ports. d) except when working with IP packets.
e) which can be thought of advanced switches.
6. Class of an IP address can be determined from ………. and determines the ………. a) the first 3 quads — network part.
b) the number of netmask bits — network address.
c) the routing table — destination IP address. d) the first 4 bits — number of hosts in the network.
e) the host bits — netmask.
1. What is the name of the algorithm used in CSMA/CD networks in order to avoid repeated collisions? a) collision avoidance b) crash prevent c) exponential back-off d) exponential collisions e) collision detection
2. In which of the following, are the received cells guaranteed to be in order?
a) ATM b) Wireless ethernet c) TCP/IP d) ISDN e) ADSL
3. Multimode fibers have more ………… than single mode fibers at the receiving end. a) light b) dispersion c) speed d) wavelength e) cable length
4. What is the signal that travels around the token-ring and carries data called?
a) Packet b) cell c) frame d) token e) bus
5. What is the name of the fixed route established at the time of initial connection setup in ATM networks? a) connection network b) data route c) virtual circuit d) ring e) VPN
6. What is the maximum length of Cat-5 cable in a fast ethernet network?
a) 180 m b) 200 m c) 1000 m d) 1200 m e) 100 m
7. Which one of the following is the lowest bit rate in ATM networks?
a) 155 Mbps b) 622 Mbps c) 1544 kbps d) 1000 Mbps e) 10 Mbps
8. QAM uses different ……… in order to transmit multiple bits in one signal change. a) frequencies b) pulses c) bit-rates d) amplitude-phase e) bits
9. Higher capacity channel in BRI service of ISDN is called ……. channel?
a) DSL b) B c) PRI d) NT1 e) D
10. What is the lowest discrete channel in discrete multitone signaling of DSL used for?
a) control b) voice c) data d) channel allocation e) unused
11. What does A in ADSL stand for?
a) Alternative b) Asynchronous c) Attenuated d) Asymmetric e) Additive
12. What is the type of operation in wireless ethernet when a management/arbitration device exists? a) point coordination b) distributed coordination c) managed arbitration d) management point e) access point
13. What does FHSS stand for in wireless communication?
a) Fairly Harmonic Signal Sink b) Frequency Halving Signal Spectrum c) Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum d) Fast High Simple Solution e) Full Harmonic Signal Spectrum
14. Concatenation of multiple frames for a single transmission in gigabit ethernet is
a) carrier extension b) combination c) flow control d) full frame
e) frame bursting
15. How many bits are used for addressing in gigabit ethernet?
a) 64 bits b) 48 bits c) 32 bits d) variable e) 128 bits
16. What is the maximum length of 100Base-FX segment?
a) 2000 m b) 100 m c) 185 m d) 5000 m e) 200 m
17. What is the netmask of the gateway interface in a sub-C network where only 14 hosts may exist and IP address of one of the hosts is 184.108.40.206?
a) 255.255.255.224 b) 220.127.116.11 c) 255.255.255.0
d) 255.255.255.240 e) 18.104.22.168
18. What is the name of routing type in which every incoming packet is sent to every neighbor router except the one from which the packet came? a) distribution b) multicast c) link-state d) shortest-path e) flooding
19. The shortest routes from a router to all other routers make up a …….. because of the optimality principle. a) short-node b) cut-tree c) sink-tree d) binary-tree e) tentative-route
20. What is the main difference of dynamic routing compared to static one?
a) real-time connection establishment b) dynamic routing table-updates c) dynamic behavior against flooding d) multiple output routes
e) dynamic change of hardware position
1. Which of the following does not have a Data-Link Layer?
a) Router b) Gateway c) Switch d) Bridge e) Repeater
2. How many network bits does22.214.171.124 have?
a) 8 b) 16 c) 24 d) 32 e) 1
3. How many cable segments does a fully connected network of 10 hosts have?
a) 100 b) 45 c) 90 d) 10 e) 81
4. Which specifications the Physical Layer deals with?
a) Physical-Electrical b) Logical-Electrical c) Capacity-Load d) Routing-Switching e) Delivery-CSMA/CD
5. How many bytes are ethernet addresses in CSMA/CD networks?
a) 16 b) 5 c) 6 d) 48 e) 4
6. IP address of a host is found using its name by the service named ………………
a) Routing service b) Encription service c) Network Layer
d) Name service e) ARP service
7. How many pins of RJ-45 connectors are required when used in 10Base-T networks?
a) 8 b) 4 c) 2 d) 6 e) 3
8. Which binary stream is represented by in NRZ-I?
a) 110100 b) 010110100110 c) 111101110101 d) 001011 e) 010110100110
9. What is a broadcast IP address?
a) IP address of a broadcasting host b) IP address with all hosts bits set to zero
c) IP address with all network bits set to 1 d) IP address with all host bits set to 1 e) IP address with last byte set to 255
10. Which OSI layer deals with physical addressing of the device?
a) Ethernet L. b) IP L. c) Address L. d) Physical L. e) Data Link L.
11. Which of the following can be a measure for the reliability of a computer network?
a) Mean time between failures b) Implemented protocol
c) Type of hosts d) Connections per unit time e) Protection software used on hosts
12. A dedicated physical link between two hosts is said to be?
a) Mesh Lin b) Shared link c) Simplex d) Point-to-point e) Duplex
13. Which of the following is a disadvantage for networks with bus topology?
a) Less cabling than ring b) Needs a central device c) Cheaper connectors d) It is collision-free e) Cable faults down entire network
14 Which of the following is not an advantage of fiber-optic media for communication?
a) Has high bandwidth b) Has low EMI c) Has high security d) Has low attenuation e) Requires high-tech equipment
15. In a router, what is the name of the structure that tells where to deliver IP-packets?
a) Router address b) Routing table c) Delivery table d) Status table e) Default entry table
16. Which of the following is not one of the seven OSI layers?
a) Adaptation b) Session c) Network d) Transport e) Presentation
17. What is the purpose of preamble bits in an ethernet frame?
a) Initialization of ARP b) Pre-bit counting c) Synchronization d) Error checking e) Destination address
18. What are the routing table entries in B, other than a possible default?
a) NB ->I5, NC -> I6, NA -> I4 b) A -> I2, C -> I7
c) NA -> I2, NC -> I7, ND -> I7 d) ND -> I3, NA -> I1, NC -> I8
e) ND -> I7, NC -> I8, NA -> I2, NB -> I5
19. Which one of the following is probably incorrect?
a).GW of a host in ND is I3 b) GW of a host in ND is I9 c) GW of a host in NB is I5
d) I3 and I6 are same e) Netmasks of I2-I4 and I6-I7 are same
20. NA is a sub class-C network. Which of the following is possible?
a) I1=10.1.1.1 b) I1=220.140.141.x c) Netmask of NA = 255.255.255.254
d) A host IP in NA=126.96.36.199 e) A host in NA has GW = 188.8.131.52
21. The use of “Spread Spectrum” techniques is pointless in ………?
a) baseband systems b) 802.11x c) wireless systems d) satellite communications e) between two radio stations f) bluetooth
22. What is the name of the fixed route established at the time of initial connection setup in ATM networks? a) VPN b) virtual circuit c) connection network d) passage e) data route f) cell network
23. In ethernet networks, physical addressing is dealt with ……….
a) ethernet connector b) logical layer c) network layer
d) data-link layer e) physical layer f) physical address layer
24. What is the netmask of the gateway interface in a sub-network where only 14 hosts may exist and IP address of one of the hosts is 184.108.40.206?
a) 255.255.255.224 b) 220.127.116.11 c) 255.255.255.0 d) 18.104.22.168 e) 255.255.255.240 f) 255.255.0.0
25. What was the bit rate of IEEE 802.5 (token-ring) when it was first standardized?
a) 4.16 Mbps b) 10.2 Mbps c) 100 Mbps d) 12 Mbps e) 144.5 Mbps f) 512 kbps
26. What are small bluetooth networks called?
a) chirpnets b) minibus c) BLAN d) smalltalk e) scatternet f) piconet
27. What is the algorithm to handle collisions in ethernet networks?
a) Collision Pooling b) Time Division Mux c) exponential-backoff d) ARP e) CSMA-CD f) CSMA-CA
28. The number of allowed hops for an IP packet is kept in the ……… field.
a) AHF b) IHL c) Frag. Off. d) TTL e) ToS f) PID
29. A fully connected network of 6 hosts requires a total of ………….. interfaces. a) 30 b) 36 c) 35 d) 15 e) 18 f) 25
30. Which of the following is most important disadvantage of bus networks?
a) have many collisions b) expensive cables used c) one fault downs entire net. d) less cabling required e) lower international standard f) higher traffic
31. How many channels are reserved for voice in DMT technique used in ADSL?
a) 1 b) 5 c) 251 d) 256 e) 4 f) 0
32. What are the router settings for N3 in R1 and default route in R2?
a) N3->d, def->p b) N3->w, def->d c) N3->p, def->u
d) N3->p, def->d e) N3->N2, def->ISP f) N3->d, def->d
33. Problems encountered in IP networks are usually reported with this protocol.
a) TCP b) SNMP c) SMTP d) HTTP e) ARP f) ICMP
34. What are VLAN tags?
a) Error indicator attached to IP packets b) Routing information on ethernet adapters. c) A number in ethernet frame used to group switched hosts. d) Special MAC
e) A special number on ethernet switches f) A special group number on networked hosts
36. What does C in DHCP stand for?
a) Connection b) Contention c) Collision d) Count e) Configuration f) Control
37. Which of the following is name of a digital channel used in ISDN?
a) 2B1Q b) TE1 c) BRI d) PBX e) B8ZS f) OFDM
38. What are the splitters used for in DSL?
a) Use two telephony device b) separate voice and data signals c) use multiple telco lines d) use multiple computers
e) reject low frequency components for data f) for splitting power
39. Distance Vector Routing uses …….. to determine distances to its own neighbors. a) incoming vectors b) outgoing packets c) leaky bucket d) shortest path e) flooding f) ping
40. Class of an IP address can be determined from ………….
a) first 8 bits b) first 3 bytes c) last 8 bits d) first 3 bits e) first 4 bits f) netmask
41. A sequence of events in a TCP session between two hosts (H1,H2) is given below.
Determine what is wrong with it.
1) H2: Connect, 2) H1: ConnectionRequest, 3) H1: Accept, 4) H1: SendData,
5) H2: DataArrival, 6) H2: Accept, 7) H1: Close
a) Host-1 cannot send data in step-4 b) Host-1 should not close yet in step-7 c) Accept is incorrect in step-6 d) Accept is incorrect in step-3 e) DataArrival is not called in step-5
42. In —– packets/frames/cells guaranteed to be in order?
a) ATM b) Wireless ethernet c) TCP/IP d) ISDN e) ADSL
43. Multimode fibers have more —– than single mode fibers at the receiving end. a) light b) dispersion c) speed d) wavelength e) cable length
44. Higher capacity channel in BRI service of ISDN is called —– channel?
a) DSL b) B c) PRI d) NT1
45. A in ADSL stands for —– ?
a) Alternative b) Asynchronous c) Attenuated d) Asymmetric e) Additive
46. When a management/arbitration device exists in wireless ethernet networks, the type of operation is called —– ?
a) access point b) distributed coordination c) managed arbitration d) management point e) point coordination
47. VLAN tags are —- ?
a) Error indicators attached to IP packets b) Routing information on ethernet adapters. c) Numbers in ethernet frame used to group switched hosts. d) Special numbers on ethernet switches
e) Special group numbers on networked hosts
48. Splitters used on telephony wires connected to DSL modems are used to —– ?
a) Use two telephony device b) reject high frequency data signals c) use multiple telco lines d) use multiple computers
e) reject low frequency components for data f) for splitting power
49. In ISDN 23B+D configuration is capable of carrying —– kbps.
a) 10000 b) 100000 c) 52000 d) 1544 e) 622
50. Distance Vector Routing uses —– to determine elements of its own distance vector. a) incoming vectors b) outgoing packets c) flooding d) shortest path e) echo packets
51. Manchester coding is one of the encoding techniques used to eliminate —– ?
a) DC component of the signal b) High frequency components
c) common mode signals d) redundancy e) echo signals
52. ATM routers can be entirely hardware as ATM frame/packet/cell size is —– bytes. a) 64 b) 72 c) 53 d) 1544 e) 46
53. —– is a collection of Bluetooth piconets.
a) nanonets b) micronets c) picosubnets d) bluenets e) scatternet
54. Transmitting a packet on every route except the one where it came from is called —–. a) flooding b) broadcast c) multicast d) replicast e) routing
55. The filters used in telephony end offices limit high frequency components on telephone lines. What is its cut-off frequency when ADSL modems are used on customer lines? a) 3000 Hz b) 3400 Hz c) 4500 Hz d) no filter e) 9600 Hz
56. Which of the following is name of a digital channel used in ISDN?
a) 2B1Q b) TE1 c) BRI d) PBX e) OFDM
57. FDDI stands for —–.
a) Fiber Distributed Data Interface b) Fully Distributed Device Interface c) Frequency Data Digital Interface d) Fiber Data Device Interconnection e) Faulty Data Dynamic Interface
58. Gigabit ethernet uses —– bit hardware address.
a) 53 b) 48 c) 16 d) 32 e) 128
59. In IP networking, network and host addresses are separated using —– ?
a) ARP b) TCP c) gateway d) netmask e) separator
60. In TCP sockets, DataArrival and ConnectionRequest are —–.
a) Messages b) Signals c) Properties d) Methods e) Events
61. Eight hosts making up a fully connected network has a total of ………….. dedicated lines. a) 8 b) 28 c) 64 d) 56 e) 49
62. DMT divides freq. band into 256 channels in ADSL, of which …. are used for voice. a) 1 b) 5 c) 251 d) 255 e) 4
64. What is the netmask of the gateway interface in a sub-network where maximum of 25 hosts exist and IP address of one of the hosts is 192.168.1.1?
a) 192.168.1.0 b) 192.168.1.224 c) 192.168.1.27 d) 255.255.255.0 e) 255.255.255.224
65. In OSI systems, IP-routing is dealt with ……….
a) application layer
b) data-link layer
c) logical layer d) network layer
e) physical layer
66. Which of the following is not one of the seven OSI layers? a) Network b) Session c) Routing d) Transport e) Presentation
67. What is a broadcast IP address for 22.214.171.124 / 26 ?
a) 126.96.36.199 b) 188.8.131.52 c) 255.255.255.63 d) 255.255.255.191 e) 184.108.40.206
68. The diff. NRZ-I waveform corresponding to the binary stream 01101000 is ………
a) b) c)
69. Which one of the following is a job of the Physical Layer? a) Switching, routing b) Signaling standards c) Segmentation- reassembly
d) Encryption, Compression e) Physical addressing
70. Gigabit ethernet uses ….. bit physical addresses. a) 16 b) 32 c) 24 d) 48 e) 64
71. How many differential pairs do 10BaseT UTP interfaces need? a) 6 b) 1 c) 2 d) 4 e) 8
72. ADSL stands for ….? a) Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line b) Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line
c) Asynchronous Digital Serial Line d) Advanced Digital Serial Line e) Asynchronous Delivery Serial Line
73. ARP finds out ….. from ……
a) IP, Hostname
b) Hostname, IP
c) Ethernet Addr, name
d) Gateway-IP, IP e) Ethernet Addr, IP
74. The word ―splitter‖ usually refers to …. in networking?
a) A high-pass filter that extracts data signals in ADSL lines b) A low-pass filter that extracts voice signal in ADSL lines
c) A multiport device that duplicates packets towards all connected lines
d) A connector box that splits customers‘ premises from Telco‘s e) A BNC T connector for splitting coaxial lines.
75. What does the initial part of Ethernet frame that is designed for synchronization called? a) Preample b) Syncpulses c) Header d) Synchronizer e) Preloader
76. Repeaters operate similar to … that extend the cable length.
a) Bridges b) Ethernet hubs c) Ethernet switches d) Connectors e) Routers
77. A typical socket-server application responds user requests using TCP over a specified port?
What is the typical sequence in terms of socket functions on server side?
a) Listen, DataArrival, Accept, SendData, Close b) Listen, ConnectionRequest, Accept, DataArrival, GetData, SendData, Close c) Open, Connect, Accept, SendData, DetData, Close
d) ConnectionRequest, DataArrival, GetData, Accept, SendData, Close, Listen e) Open, SendData, Listen, GetData, DataArrival, RetrieveData, Close
f) Listen, Open, GetData, SendData, Close
78. What are the DHCP pool types?
a) Automatic, Backed-up b) Configured, Free c) Large-pool, Limited d) Dynamic, Recursive e) Static, Dynamic f) Switched, Bridged
79. What are the minimal OSI layers of a switching router? a) Physical, DataLink, Network b) Transport, Network, DataLink
c) Application, VLAN, Switching d) Switching, Routing e) Bridging, Routing, Physical f) DataLink, Physical
80. Connection between VLANs can be provided by …..? a) VLAN-tags b) fiber cable c) router d) bridge e) switch f) VLAN-server
81. IEEE 8092.3 covers mostly …..? a) CSMA/CD on Ethernet b) Token-Ring c) Token-Bus
d) ATM e) Network Layer f) DoD Layers
82. Four routers are connected as a ring. Including broadcast and network addresses, what is the minimum number of IP addresses needed/wasted for inter-router connections? a) 4 b) 8 c) 6 d) 64 e) 32 f) 16
83. Which of the following is not a part of the IP datagram?
a) Fragment offset b) Packet identifier c) Type of service d) TTL e) Dest. ethernet address f) Header length
84. FDDI stands for?
a) Fiber Digital Data Interconnect b) Full Duplex Data Integration c) Fiber Data Domain Internet d) Fiber Distributed Data Interface
e) Fast Digital Data Internetwork f) Fully Distributed Domain Interface
85. How does source host know if a destination host is on the same IP network?
a) Looks up from a hosts list b) DHCP server tells it c) Via ARP d) From network part of IP addr. e) If it responds then it is local f) it doesn‘t
86. Name server is a ….?
a) host with full of names b) short of an HTTP-server c) routing application d) program for administrators. e) network protocol f) program answering name queries
87. Which of the following is a well-known routing method? a) multilink routing b) selective routing c) multicast routing
d) link stared routing. e) short-test routing f) vector-metric routing
88. In DMT of ADSL how many channels are used for analog voice communication? a) 5 b) 1 c) 6 d) 2 e) 8 f) 256
89. ATM cells are ….. bytes? a) 53 b) 64K c) 1524 d) 2048 e) 48 f) 64
90. Which of the following is a common wireless communication technique? a) Direct Synchronous Serial Shift b) Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum c) Fully Hierarchical Shifted Spectrum d) Orthogonal Fast Direct Maintenance
e) Spectrum Balanced Orthogonal Shift f) Frequency Adaptive Discrete Multiplexing
91. Wireless ethernet and BlueTooth interfere as their operating frequencies coincide at ….. ? a) 900MHz b) 5.GHz c) 1.9GHz d) 2.11GHz e) 4.9GHz f) 2.4GHz
92. Bridges do not separate logical networks since …. ..
a) they are used to connect logical nets. b) this is done by network administrators. c) what seems logical may not really be. d) CompNet students do not know how to. e) they work on physical addresses. f) logical addressing is costly
93. In a network with several switches bridges and routers, usually the routers are the bottlenecks as ………..
a) fiber cables do not work with routers. b) they are fast and reliable. c) they have software layers to do the job and software is slow. d) they require additional money to operate adequately.
e) they are the most disliked by the administrators.
f) bottles usually have narrow necks for TCP/IP packets.
94. What is ‗default route‘ refers to for routers?
a) They usually end up in poorer departments and later in dusty shelves.
b) Branches and leaves of the network tree.
c) The most reliable route among all connected interfaces when the network is congested. d) The interface to send through when the destination is not known for an IP packet. e) It is the administrators‘ traffic monitoring software.
f) All traffic is routed to ‗default route‘.
95. What is the nominal bit rate of ‗fast ethernet‘?
a) 1000 MB/s b) 10 GB/s c) 10 MB/s d) 200 MB/s e) 1 Gb/s f) 100 MB/s